Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, January 9, 2012

Do Your Best

As we start a new year, don't we all set sky-high resolutions? Some we reach, some discard, some haunt us and make us feel like a failure. This year, I'm trying something different.

At Family Home Evening last week, we unveiled our family theme for the year. I've seen this other places and have always wanted to choose a theme for our family, but never have. Our theme for the year is "Do Your Best." I made that lovely sign above to hang on the door in our kitchen that leads to our garage. It is the last thing we see when we leave the house, and it's the last thing I say to my kids as I drop them off at school. "I love you! Do your best!"

For each of us, doing our best means something different. Even from day to day. It isn't a measurable goal, perhaps, but it is workable and livable. It might be doing your best on a spelling test, doing your best when you make your bed, answering patiently when asked the same question 30 times, setting the table neatly, not waiting to be asked to put your clothes away, whatever.

We also have a theme scripture for the year:
Book of Mormon, Ether 12:27
27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them theiraweakness. I bgive unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my cgrace is sufficient for all men that dhumble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make eweak things become strong unto them.


I have always loved that scripture. Who doesn't have a weakness? I know that no matter how big or how many my weaknesses, the Lord will help me overcome them if I ask for help.


We also found some quotes from President Monson from the January Ensign that went along with our theme. The quotes and the scripture will join the theme on the door as soon as I get the signs made.


"Courage is required to make an initial thrust toward one’s coveted goal, but even greater courage is called for when one stumbles and must make a second effort to achieve.


Don’t limit yourself and don’t let others convince you that you are limited in what you can do. Believe in yourself and then live so as to reach your possibilities.


So much in life depends on our attitude. The way we choose to see things and respond to others makes all the difference. To do the best we can and then to choose to be happy about our circumstances, whatever they may be, can bring peace and contentment.

Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says, “I’ll try again tomorrow.” "


We have high hopes for a great year!

This went along well with what (little) we did on New Year's Eve. We were all sick as dogs the week between Christmas and New Year's. Let's just say I cleaned puke off every floor in the house, as well as a few floors in other places. We decided we'd stay home and keep our germs to ourselves. 

Jenna helped me make cream cheese wontons and rice for dinner. Very festive. After dinner, we each wrote some of our hopes/wishes/goals for the year on little papers. We each attached our paper to the string of our balloon. (They say "Make a Wish"- thanks Dollar Tree!) Around 8:00 we went on the front porch and set the balloons free. I am probably responsible for that flock of birds that mysteriously died in Alabama that night. Sorry.

 Here is a picture of the party animals- 8:00 and already in pjs! Lydia is behind her balloon. These were the best pictures I could get. Eliza's note is right in front of her eyes. It was a rough week. The one below had a lot of my messy kitchen in it- cropping required.

Here are some of the goals/wishes we made. Some of us had the same ones, so I'll only list each one once. In no particular order:
Family scripture study; have a positive attitude; become an actress; get a cat, dog and trampoline; work on handwriting; make healthy choices; react and respond with kindness; get potty trained; be good; learn to talk; organize my home; get settled; play more..

Can you guess who belongs to each one?

So how was your New Year's Eve? Did you make any resolutions? Does anyone still read my blog after I was such a bad blogger last year? I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says, “I’ll try again tomorrow.”

That was my favorite! I even used it in Ward Counsel for my spiritual thought.
Bummer you guys were sick. We were during Christmas.
I only have one goal for this year. That is to survive!

Anonymous said...

Still reading and loving it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...