Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, September 12, 2011

On squirrels and nuts

Can you feel it? Can you smell it? Autumn is so close it hurts! We have had a blissfully mild summer in Utah this year while the rest of the world seems to be drowning or withering up, blowing away, or catching on fire. I really can't complain. I think we saw 100 twice. Not half bad for living in a desert.

But now comes my very favorite time of year! I love Fall. In fact, in elementary school I penned some incredible artistic lines about my favorite season:

Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall.
I like Fall best of all.

Profound, I know.

This time of year always evokes strong emotions for me. I feel compelled to do certain things, make certain foods, wear certain U of U hoodies, eat birthday cake. 

One of my compulsions makes me think I'm part squirrel. I feel the need to store up for the winter. We've been trying to eat our food storage so we wouldn't have to move quite so much of it when we move, but Saturday I broke down and went to two different case lot sales. I feel much better now. If you've ever read The Long Winter  by Laura Ingalls Wilder, you'll know why I can't stand idly by and let my supply of canned green beans deplete. I'm not making candles and head cheese, but I've done my part.

Another compulsion makes me think I'm a little nuts. I feel this burning need to craft. This time of year, I have often been gearing up for a craft show, but I'm not doing that this year. I still feel like I need to make things. I'm trying to make as few messes as possible so we can show our house at a moment's notice. I can't really craft without making a mess, so I've tried to beat down the urges. Our ward isn't doing Super Saturday, which would allow me to craft & make a mess elsewhere, so I'm not sure what to do with this craft problem. Perhaps I should dig out the crocheting again. 

I am doing a small craft that involves milk lids from old time glass milk bottles, magnets, Dimensional Magic, and a little Mod Podge. I'll show you later. 

For now, I'll stick to case lot sales, making chili, baking bread and maybe some apple crisp. That and some U of U football will hopefully see me through until we move. Which is hopefully sooner than later. Hopefully. Hopefully. 

Maybe I should just go watch Annie, instead. I'll sing along with Miss Hannigan.
"Some day I'll land in the nut house, with all the NUTS and the SQUIRRELS. There I'll stay, tucked away, Till the prohibition of  little girls..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do the fall gathering too. I bake and bake and freeze the baked food. I want to watch movies and organize my house because you can't do that in the spring when you are getting the garden ready. love it. So fun!

Anonymous said...

I, too, am a Fall girl. I always try to convince myself that Spring is better because it's a new birth, a new start, but once Fall comes around I remember my true favorite.

I hope you find yourself moving this fall. It's miserable keeping a house show-ready.

Miss you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...