Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, February 27, 2012

Re-purpose: Ancient cassette holder to art kit


We were looking for something special for my niece for her birthday. She loves to do craft projects, so I thought we'd give her some supplies. Since she had three younger siblings, a safe place to put the supplies would be a good idea!

We found this old cassette tape holder at the D.I. (Utah's version of Goodwill) for $2 and gave it a new life! It was in very good condition, so no repairs were needed.
I had planned to cover the inside, but it coordinated well with the fabric, so I left it as-is.
I cut my fabric so it was ever-so-slightly wider than the face of the case, planning to tuck the edges under the existing trim. (Sorry I didn't take pictures during construction). I wrapped the fabric around the case, securing it with clothes pins on the "lid" edge. It it important to do this step with the case closed so you have enough fabric to stretch the entire way. Next, I started at the handle end, cutting away parts for the handle and latch. It is very forgiving, since you're going to glue it all together. Don't be afraid! You can't tell where I had to patch a few places where there were gaps!

I put a thin layer of Mod Podge on the case, laid the fabric down, smoothed out bubbles with my hand, and then put another thin layer of Mod Podge on top. I used a hair clip (because it was in my craft supplies) to push the fabric under the trip around the edge. My fabric already had glitter on it, but you could spray a fine layer of glitter spray paint over the top.

I left it to dry over night and then we filled it with all sorts of fun, girly craft supplies.
My girls all want one too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This looks great! I want one too...

:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...