Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Misunderstood

We've all had songs that we thought we knew the lyrics, only to find out later that we were way off the mark. When I was younger I thought the Michael Jackson song Billy Jean said "but the chairlift's got my son." (I was very into skiing & didn't know there was such a thing as an illegitimate child) It really says "but the kids is not my son."

We had a neighbor girl who would sing at Primary "Jesus said love everyone. Tie them to a tree."

As I listen to my kids sing, I love to hear how they interpret the lyrics and I thought I'd share.

My favorite song that they sing their own way is a John Denver song called Please Daddy don't get drunk this Christmas. They think it says (and sing enthusiastically) "Please Daddy, don't get drums this Christmas. I don't want to see my mama cry!" Thankfully there is a better chance of Tim getting drums for Christmas than getting drunk, but I would cry if drums were brought into my house!

Another cute Christmas lyric change is from my almost 3 year old nephew. He sings "we wish you a Merry Christmas, we wish you a Merry Christmas, we wish you a Merry Christmas, and we're happy you're here." A nice sentiment, also. Too funny!

Tell me some of your funny misunderstandings. (Tell me I'm not the only one...)

3 comments:

Hillary said...

Oh, I love it! In High School I loved the band "Totally Wet Sprocket." Well, come to find out, that band doesn't exist-it's actually Toad the Wet Sprocket :)Then, one day Steve and I were driving in the car (I think we were engaged) and I was singing along to the radio and I sang the words "Whispering share this alone with you" (I know, it doesn't make sense) when all of a sudden Steve bursts out laughing...finally he informs me the words are actually, "With the birds I share this lonely view." (Makes a little more sense, right?)

d.r. gib said...

Zach is happy you're here, how silly. I don't know if these are the right words or not, but we sing a Peter Breintholt song, You Wear Flowers with a line that says "so here we are sweet Hillary, not much like it used to be..."

Ali said...

How funny is that! I think we all have songs like that ... when I was little I thought the song God Bless the USA went "And I proudly stand up next to you in Denver still today." And I thought it was cool that I lived in Denver too. Too bad the word was actually "and defend her" ... oh well! So much for Denver!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...